Borzen d.o.o. was established in the spring 2001 for the implementation of the public utility service relating to the organisation of the electricity market. At the beginning, trading between buyers and sellers took place in the form of organised weekly meetings and later on via an electronic trading platform.
In 2002, in addition to providing a daily and weekly market for preferential dispatch electricity, the company also performed daily auctions for the allocation of cross-border transmission capacities for the import and export of electricity on the Slovenian – Italian border. The year 2002 was also marked by the establishment of the Association of European Power Exchanges EuroPEX. The Association which is instrumental in the operation of the European electricity market was established by Borzen and seven other energy exchanges.
In 2004, Borzen started with the implementation of the imbalance settlement in the delivery and consumption of electricity from announced operating schedules which enabled more precise forecasts for electricity consumption and production of market participants. In the same year, a wood biomass information portal was also set up.
In 2005, the implementation of daily auctions for the allocation of cross-border transmission capacities for the import and export of electricity started on all Slovenian borders except on the Hungarian border.
In 2007, the existing central database was upgraded to the Guarantees of Origin Registry by Borzen and the Energy Agency; the Registry enables user-friendly and simple handling of Guarantees of Origin.
In 2008, Borzen established the BSP Regional Energy Exchange d.o.o jointly with the German company Eurex, an international derivatives exchange, whose aim is to establish a centralised energy trading centre in the region of SE Europe. The energy exchange activity was consequently transferred from Borzen to the new company.
In 2009, Borzen started the implementation of activities of the Centre for RES/CHP Support, the Support Scheme operator for the generation of energy from renewable energy sources and highly efficient cogeneration of heat and power.
In 2010, Borzen’s Centre for RES/CHP Support started collecting and managing the funds for programmes for increasing the efficiency of energy use in accordance with the Regulation on energy savings ensured to final customers.
Borzen marked its 10th anniversary and various activities regarding that were implemented throughout the year. Special event celebrating the anniversary was attended by the most important representatives in this field.
- January: Market coupling on the Slovenian – Italian border started.
- May: acquisition of the »Family friendly enterprise certificate«.
- July: new business premises of the company.
- January: adoption of the Act amending the Energy Act gave Borzen as a public service new powers within the Centre for Support. New powers primarily include the tasks related to information provision, awareness raising, training and the publication of information on efficient energy use and renewable energy sources.
- October: Balancing market in Slovenia was opened.
- September: Borzen published its first Sustainability Report according to GRI international standard
- October: Borzen received the award for the best Annual Report 2012 in Slovenia.
- July: Borzen received a full Certificate for Family friendly enterprise
- April: new Supervisory Board of company Borzen: Gorazd Ažman, president; Dejan Paravan, Ph. D., vice president; Janez Černe, member.
- May: Borzen, Slovenian power market operator, and COTEE, Montenegro power market operator, signed a Memorandum of Understanding on principles and objectives of cooperation.
- December: web portal under a new brand SUSTAINABLE ENERGY was established, covering topics of energy efficiency and renewable energy sources.
- January: Karol Peter Peršolja, PhD starts his anew mandat as a General Manager for the next five years.
- February: we started publishing daily forecast of electricity production for solar, small hidro and wind power plants.
- March: Borzen started to publish residual diagram of consumption data of the distribution networks in Slovenia.
- July: new structure of the Supervisory Board: Chairman - Gorazd Ažman; Vice-Chairman - Janez Černe; Member - Nejc Brezovar, PhD.
- October: Borzen starts to perform an integral service of REMIT reporting for participants in the energy market pursuing the Regulation on wholesale energy Market Integrity and Transparency (REMIT).
- December: Borzen finalises a series of activities which were carried out throughout the year in the field of raising awareness and informing about energy efficiency and renewable energy sources (conference, competition for students, TV broadcast, all Slovenian research on energy efficiency…).
- January: A series of 15 television programmes on sustainable energy (Eko utrinki; eng. “Eco glimpses”), created by Borzen, were broadcast on the national television channel Slovenia 1.
- March: Borzen marked its 15th anniversary.
- April: Implementation of the REMIT-RRM Reporting in accordance with the second phase of the REMIT Reporting.
- May: Launching of the Centre for Support web portal, intended for the members of the RES and CHP support scheme.
- June: Borzen published a scientific monograph, entitled Renewable energy sources in Slovenia.
- July: Borzen changed its company name from Borzen, organizator trga z električno energijo, d.o.o. to Borzen, operater trga z elektriko, d. o. o. (unification of the company name with the name of public utility service).
The Slovenian Government granted Borzen a concession for the implementation of performing public service obligation relating to the activity of electricity market operator for a period of 20 years.
- September: Successful organisation and outcome of the conference “Sustainable energy locally: How to achieve zero-energy buildings?”
- October: Borzen’s general manager, Karlo Peršolja, was elected as the new member of the Europex Board.
- November: Borzen organised a conference on transparency and integrity in the energy market.
Borzen acquired the “Family Friendly Enterprise” certificate.
- December: Borzen completed a series of activities, which were carried out during the year in the field of information, awareness and training on the efficient energy use and renewable energy (competition for students, web portal www.trajnostnaenergija.si etc.).
- January:The new Rules on the Operation of Centre for RES/CHP Support come into force.
- February: The national public service television RTV Slovenija broadcasts a series of animated cartoons entitled Lepši svet (“A Better World”), created by Borzen for educational purposes and promotion of sustainable energy.
- April: Borzen receives an awarded given by the Slovenian financial newspaper Finance at the Energy Days Conference for the best promotional RES and EE project 2017 (for the informative series Eko utrinki – “Eco Glimpses”) as voted by online users.
- June: On 17 June 2017, the Rules on the Changes to the Rules on the Operation of the Electricity Market come into force.
- In the “Best of the Best” programme, organised by AmCham Slovenia, Borzen takes third place in the category “Motivation” (with the informative series Eko utrinki – “Eco Glimpses” and environmental animated cartoon series Lepši svet – “A Better World”).
- A successful organisation of the conference “Sustainable Energy Locally 017: Successful financing of energy efficiency measures”.
- October: Director of Operations at Borzen, Mr. Borut Rajer, is elected as the new member of the Europex Board.
-Borzen organises a conference on transparency and integrity in the energy market 017.
- Borzen receives the award for the best annual report award in the category of medium and small-sized businesses (among companies that are not public-interest entities according to the Slovenian Companies Act) given by the Slovenian daily newspaper Finance.
- Borzen is granted the recognition for the successful implementation and maintenance of the Family-Friendly Enterprise Certificate.
- Borzen starts publishing the Price Index for the Slovenian Balancing Market on its website.
- In collaboration with the Slovenian artist Klemen Slakonja, Borzen launches a music video “How beautiful you are” on social networks to raise awareness on the efficient energy use.
- Borzen and RTV Slovenia present new informative series Eko utrinki (“Eco Glimpses”).
- Borzen prepared new informative series on sustainable energy entitled “Eko utrinki” (Eco Glimpses) in cooperation with RTV Slovenia, which also broadcast them.
- - Borzen received a special recognition award for the environmental animated cartoon series “Lepši svet” (A Better World) at the 20th Energy Managers’ Days.
- Successful conclusion of the advisory project “Technical Assistance with Establishing Organised Day-Ahead Electricity Trading” in Northern Macedonia.
- Successful conclusion of the advisory project in Northern Macedonia, entitled “Technical Assistance with Establishing a Balancing Electricity Market”.
- Borzen’s traditional conference “Sustainable Energy Locally 018 – Financing and Implementing EE Measures by Connecting Municipalities”.
- Borzen organised an expert workshop, entitled “Exchange of Experience in the Operation of a Market Operator and Electricity Exchange” for our colleagues from the Georgian electricity operator ESCO and regulator GNERC and for representatives of the Energy Community Secretariat (EnCS).
- Conclusion of the socially responsible pilot demonstration project “Energy-Efficient and Self-Sustaining Viška hiška” at the seat of the humanitarian organisation Slovenian Philanthropy; the project was carried out in partnership with the City of Ljubljana and Slovenian Philanthropy.
- We have successfully passed the external assessment under the ISO/IEC 27001:2013 standard for ensuring information security.
- Setting up an application for reporting data on the balancing market to the Energy Agency in accordance with REMIT standards and records.
- Conclusion of the advisory project in Ukraine.
- The new Rules on the Operation of the Electricity Market come into force, which among other changes, implement the requirements of the first stage of harmonisation of the Electricity Balancing Guideline Regulation.
- Airing of the new episodes of environmental cartoon Lepši svet ("A Better World").
- Expanded publication of the imbalance settlement data on the website.
- Completion of the consultancy project in Moldova "Support in development of rules/procedures and framework contracts for procurement of electricity in Moldova" within the framework of the EU4Energy project under the auspices of the Energy Community Secretariat.
- Publication of a new board game on sustainable energy (playing cards).
- The first meeting of the new Supervisory Board, consisting of the following members: Ms. Mojca Kert (Chairman), Ms. Alenka Kolar, PhD (Deputy Chairman) and Mr. Jure Jemec (Member).
- Completion of the consultancy project in Georgia “Support in development of Rules for day-ahead and intraday market in Georgia” within the framework of the EU4Energy project under the auspices of the Energy Community Secretariat.
- Completion of the consultancy project in North Macedonia “Provision of technical assistance to North Macedonia for operation of the organised day-ahead market” within the framework of the Energy Community Secretariat call.
- Lauch of the NEDO-Fleks project, which addresses the problems of flexibility and sustainability of the electricity system and smart communities.
- Borzen's current general manager, Mr. Karlo Peršolja, PhD, granted a new five-year term as the general manager.
- Launch of the international project FARCROSS aimed at implementing physical and procedural measures to make more efficient use of cross-border transmission capacities with the aim of improving the integration of electricity markets.
- Changes in products and offers in the balancing market.
- Borzen's environmental cartoons Lepši svet ("A Better World") translated and synchronised in English.
- Completion of the consultancy project "Support in development of the standard terms and conditions for direct contracts on sale and purchase of electricity and procedure for registration in Georgia" within the framework of the EU4Energy project under the auspices of the Energy Community Secretariat.
- Setting up an energy playground in Maribor which allows visitors to learn about sustainable energy in a fun and educational way.
- The best innovations in the field of sustainable energy for 2019 were announced, the winner is the company RIKEMA with an innovative device for cogeneration of heat and electricity from wood biomass.
- A series of Borzen's cartoons Lepši svet 2 (“A Better World 2”) together with teaching materials sent to all Slovenian kindergartens, primary schools and public libraries.
- With the declaration of the epidemic, Borzen launches a number of measures to facilitate market operations and support stakeholders for market participants, Centre for Support beneficiaries and other business partners.
- Consultation on the role of an independent aggregator in the electricity markets.
- On 11 June, the company's Supervisory Board starts operating in a new composition: Peter Žmak, President; Tomaž Kokot, Deputy President; Davorin Dimič, member.
- Borzen joins the National Alliance for Green Economic Recovery.
- Borzen publishes a renewed and even more user-friendly portal Sustainable Energy (Trajnostna energija).
- Borzen joins the National Alliance for Green Economic Recovery.
- European project PAKT: aggregation trading platform for flexibility management was successfully completed.
- Borzen, in cooperation with the Slovenian Association of Friends of Youth (SAFY), donated 3,500 school notebooks to socially endangered children.
- On September 24, the mandate of the general manager of Borzen Karl Peršolja, PhD is terminated. Mr. Peter Žmak becomes the acting director (Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Borzen, his function in the Supervisory Board is on hold).
- Conference Sustainable Energy Locally 020: Green Transformation and New Reality Implemented in Hybrid Form - live and digital.
- We obtained a new co-financed project within the EU H2020 mechanism for time management of large amounts of data (Big Data for Next Generation Energy, BD4NRG), which will be implemented on 1 January 2021.
- As of November 1, the management of the company is taken over by Mr. Martin Bratanič.
- Conducting a series of webinars on energy management in the public sector.
- Successfully completed second control assessment of ISO / IEC 27001: 2013, an international standard that contains requirements related to the information security management system.
- Completed preparations for the introduction of a 15-minute billing interval.
- Borzen sets up the first energy themed playground in Koper in partnership with other companies.
- Winners of the Borzen Sustainable Energy 020 competition for children and young people are announced.
- David Copič is elected Vice President of the Energy Market Data Exchange Section.
- Publication of a module for displaying current domestic and foreign tenders in the field of sustainable energy on the Sustainable Energy (Trajnostna energija) portal.
- Borzen publishes a collection of comics on the topic of sustainable energy entitled “Figa ME briga” and distributes it to all public libraries and primary schools across the country.
- On 1 January, the Slovenian electricity market switches to a 15-minute ISP – related adjustments to the recording and imbalance settlement processes and data transfer to the EMFIP ENTO-E platform.
- REMIT Fee Decision enters into force in accordance with the Commission Decision (EU).
- Borzen starts to participate in the BD4NRG project under the EU’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme.
- Borzen celebrates its 20th anniversary.
- Borzen conducts a webinar in the field of energy management in the public sector on the energy accounting data reporting.
- A full use of the Market Operator's new online portal, which gives the interested general public an insight into comprehensive data on the Slovenian electricity market, and at the same time offers all market participants a better user experience of the Market Operator information system as well as increased security in information exchange.
- Adoption of the Act on the Promotion of the Use of Renewable Energy Sources, which upgrades Borzen's existing public utility service tasks, especially in the field of the Support Scheme, including a new model of self-sufficiency, as well as the role of a single contact point and the introduction of a separate public service of the Support Scheme.
- Successful organisation of a series of events within the Sustainable Energy Days 021.
- Celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Slovenian electricity market and Borzen.
- Winning master’s thesis on the topic of sustainable energy was announced.
- Adoption of the Electricity Supply Act, which confirms Borzen’s tasks as a market operator and grants additional substantive responsibilities (for example, regulating the concept of an independent aggregator on the market, as well as defining the role of new entities).
- Borut Rajer, Director of Operations at Borzen, is re-elected to the Board of Directors of Europex.
- Implementation of a series of webinars in the field of energy management in the public sector.
- Expansion of the Slovenian Registry of Guarantees of Origin, which enables support for work with guarantees for all sources of production not only RES and high-efficiency CHP (both national and EECS guarantees).
- Preparation of the draft of the new imbalance settlement model, which has been circulated for comments to the Slovenian electricity transmission system operator ELES and the Slovenian Energy Agency.
- Borzen publishes a third season of environmental cartoons Lepši svet (“A Better World”).
- Publication and public announcement of the third season of the animated series A Better World, which was distributed free of charge to kindergartens, primary schools and libraries across Slovenia.
- Public hearing of the Rules on Amendments to the Rules on the Operation of the Electricity Market.
- Signing of an agreement between Borzen, the Ministry of Infrastructure of the Republic of Slovenia and the Ministry of Environment and Spatial Planning of the Republic of Slovenia on the promotion of environmentally friendly road freight transport, on the basis of which the calls for the allocation of state aid will be carried out.
- New composition of the company’s Supervisory Board: Ms. Mojca Veljkovič (Chair of the Supervisory Board), Ms. Ivana Nedižavec Korda (Deputy Chair of the Supervisory Board) and Mr. Žiga Fišer (Member of the Supervisory Board).
- New deadlines for the recording of closed contracts and operational forecasts in case of delays in the recording of results or failure of the multilateral market coupling enter into force.
- Public hearing of the Rules on the Operation of the Centre for Support.
- New Rules concerning amendment and supplement of the rules for the operation of the electricity balancing market enter into force.
- Mr. Borut Rajer is appointed as the company’s General Manager until the appointment of a General Manager with a full mandate.
- Successful completion of a variety of events, such as the Sustainable Energy Locally 022 conference, a training on Green Public Procurement regarding the items related to the consumption of electricity and an expert consultation on the implementation of energy audits in Slovenia.
- Launch of the publication of the reference market price of electricity.
- Public hearing of the Rules on the Operation of the Electricity Market.
- Acquisition of the Socially Responsible Employer certificate.
- Implementation of training of experts for conducting energy audits.
- Launch of the European project STREAM (Streaming Flexiblity to the Power System), in which Borzen operates as a participant.
- Public hearing of the Rules on the organization of the Market Operator’s platform for balancing energy.
- Successful implementation of a series of webinars on energy management in the public sector and energy-intensive companies, as well as the organisation of the so-called technical days in five Slovenian primary schools.
- As of 1 November 2022, Mr. Borut Rajer is appointed to the position of General Manager of the company for a full term of five years.
- Completion of the regional energy meetings across Slovenia, organized by Borzen.
- Adoption of the Emergency Action to Address High Energy Prices Acts, which requires the Centre for Support to subsidise the purchase of wood pellets to beneficiaries.